Re: ATA-66 for VIA VT82c586?

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 13:01:11 EST

Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com> writes:

> Greetings! The above chipset is reported as supporting ATA-66 under
> linux at www.linux-ide.org. But the specs at via's website indicate
> that this is a UltraDMA33 chipset. I may not be understanding my
> terms correctly, but can one set 'idebus=66' with this chipset under
> linux with the current ide patch?

No. That idebus parameter is to tell the kernel the ACTUAL PCI bus speed
which is the same clock that the IDE interface uses, if you set it to 66
while your PCI is at 33, strange things may happen. I never checked what
actually happens, but among the possible outcomes are:

slow disk
data loss
no transfer at all, IDE resets

Don't do it. Set idebus to your actual bus speed as per your mainboard
jumpers (or switches or other settings). It should be 33, if you're
overclocking, it might be 37 or 40 but this renders your entire hardware
unstable.

--
Matthias Andree

Where do you think you're going today?