Re: how to recovery my NTFS partition

From: Jonathan Paul Cowherd (jpcowh01@ox.slug.louisville.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 07:34:09 EST

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 01:19:02PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> liuxgmail@freemail.online.tj.cn said:
> > I have installed rehat 6.1 and windows 2000 on my pc. in my linux
> > kernel image, I selected the "read and write NTFS file system'.
> No you didn't. You selected this option:
> NTFS write support (DANGEROUS)
> The important word in that is the one in brackets: DANGEROUS.
> > How can I recovery the content on the partition?
> In all probability you can't. You've destroyed it. Goodnight and thankyou
> for playing.
> --
> dwmw2

I don't know about it not being recoverable. I had lost a NTFS with
Windows NT 4.0, and used a utility from the NT resource set (that came with
one of the NT SERVER 4.0 mastering/learning/etc books). With the NTFS that
came with NT 4.0, a copy of the partition information is written at the
beginning and end of the partition space. I was able to load up NT and
this utility was able to find it. It came with no warrenties, but it work
for me. I don't know about Windows 2000. I'm sure there are changes and
you've got to expect that from Microsoft.

Good luck.

                                                        Jonathan

BTW, Unless someone else out there has done it before with no problems, I
would tried it (i.e. Don't try to mount NTFS partitions from windows 2000
unless has already tried it or you are willing to loose your data. If you
do try it and it works for you, share with the world some others can verify
your work. If it doesn't work, share with the world, and warn people about
not doing. At the bare minimum, make a public webpage that explains what
you did and what happened so that others can search for it in google or
lycos.)

                           Jonathan Paul Cowherd
                        jpcowh01@slug.louisville.edu
                  http://www.slug.louisville.edu/~jpcowh01

This is my world and I am... World Leader Pretend