Re: Floppy handling

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 20:44:20 EST

    It does not. Since floppy when used with mtools can NEVER be part of filesystem
    you can not have background indexing process playing with that floppy.

By background indexing processes, do you mean things like the cron job
that builds the database for the locate command?

On a machine where floppies are removed and used for file transfer and
archiving, we would not want such processes to scan floppies anyway.
So one way or another we should prevent them from scanning the floppy
even if it is mounted. Doing that will as a byproduct prevent them
from complicating the question of how to mount and unmount floppies.

     With floppy as part of filesystem you can have indexes there, you
    can add "My Web" to your web server

I am not sure what "My Web" means, but if you decide to set up a web
server to serve files from your floppy, you probably want to ask the
other users not to remove that floppy while it is doing that.

    If we are talking about
    "regular floppies" then perhaps "iMac solution" can be used: just do not put
    such device in system :-)

Good support for floppies is important for many users. Telling people
not use floppies is not going to make them like GNU/Linux.