Re: Multiple PCI busses (WAS:Re: performance downgrade on PowerPC)

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 20:19:27 EST

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Let me give an example. What is to say that the XFree code knows what
> > restrictions exist to where PCI MEM space allocations can actually
> > take place? For example, on sparc64 PCI controllers, there is a
>
> This occurs as a kernel side problem too. The video capture layer needs
> to know what can and cannot DMA to what other objects and what space/bus
> they are on

Also fbdev drivers can have this problem. Since the fbdev driver have to
talk to the pci bus to get the card going I can see these issues coming
up. Not only for the framebuffer memory itself but also the MMIO regions
since the fbdev driver should use accels to avoid latency issues for the
console system.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=