Re: lmbench results for ac22-classzone and -riel

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 18:07:48 EST

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Tom Leete wrote:

>This is the summary report of four lmbench runs each. I can
>provide the detailed report if there is interest. It appears

Many thanks for the feedback. However I have to say that things like
Processor, Context switching Local communication latencies, Local
communication bandwith and memory latencies in nanoseconds can't be much
differnt. You should do heavy allocation of memory to exploit the
difference between the two kernels.

>From lmbench there's some test that bench how fast the machine
reads/writes from/to memory. If you cause such test to run into swap (so
if you tell lmbench you have more memory than the amount of physical RAM)
it will also benchmark how the machine reacts to low memory scenario for
example. Doing that you could get more different numbers I think. And btw
make sure to apply the patch that I posted to the list against ac22-class
before bechmarking ;). That patch backout one bugfix and something
introduced into 2.3.99-pre that is going to hurt performance. I'll attempt
to fix it right (in a way that can't hurt) soon.

Andrea