Re: Symbols match 2.2 <-> 2.4

From: Reto Baettig (baettig@scs.ch)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 16:19:06 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> Basically avoid products with that kind of modem.

I agree, but it gets more and more difficult because these modems are
really cheap and the vendors can add modem functionality almost for
free. (Nowadays, the main CPU almost always has some free cycles to
handle the signalprocessing needed for the modem)

I don't think that the signalprocessing algorithms for the modem stuff
are still so confidential. It would be definitely less work for lucent
if they would release that code and everyone could compile it for their
actual kernel.

Reto

(The modem is finally running on my Laptop w/ Redhat 6.2: Thanks to the
HOWTO of alexandre! (And thanks to the lucent guys who at least wrote a
driver for 2.2.13. Please release the 2.4 version soon ;-)!