Re: Symbols match 2.2 <-> 2.4

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 14:41:53 EST

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:32:09PM -0700, Reto Baettig wrote:
> please tell that the guys at lucent. They distributed an "inofficial"
> linux driver (binary only) for that f** lt winmodem that you can find in
> every laptop nowadays and that never runs under linux!
>
> Maybe the guys@lucent one day understand that there are actually people
> running linux and would like to get that winmodem running (the hardware
> of that modem is really _NOT_ windows-specific)
>
> (I know that I could buy a "real" modem and live in peace ;-)

It can't be that hard to recompile the module for 2.4.0 even for L*cent
engineers.
There might be some slight changes necessary at the places where the module
interfaces the kernel, but that should be a work of a couple of minutes. As
they stole code from serial driver, probably only the changes there need to
be redone ...

(And I wonder, whether they have a written statement by Ted that allows them
 to use the serial code with a license different from GPL?)

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>                          Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers         Linux kernel development