Re: i386 bootsect.S & setup.S

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 10:45:31 EST

Followup to: <OF77FAC7FD.C5D605FA-ON86256905.005462EB@imation.com>
By author: jjore@imation.com
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> I'm looking to add bootable support for ATA floppies to bootsect.S but it's
> currently chock full. Is there any reason why the code for deciding on a
> root device is in bootsect.S and couldn't be moved to setup.S? Here's the
> relevant code:

a) ATA floppies with standard geometries should work just fine with
   the existing bootsect.S as long as they speak BIOS properly.
b) For larger floppies, you really want a proper boot loader anyway.
c) The old code you're listing is so hideously obsolete. It really
   doesn't make sense to have at all.

Personally, I'd really prefer if bootsect.S went away. It was a neat
feature in the old days, but with no access to the command lines and
the hideous games it has to play to get the geometry, I don't think
it's a good idea anymore.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt