Re: ac22-class versus ac22-riel, P133-32Mb laptop

From: Cyrille Chepelov (chepelov@calixo.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 12:54:41 EST

Le mar, jun 20, 2000, à 09:14:59 +0200, Andrea Arcangeli a écrit:
> >On a subjective side, ac22-class feels a little bit snappier on the long
>
> Well I think between classzone-31 and classzone-32 (classzone-32 is
> included into ac22-class) I fixed a bug that hurted performance. The right
> fix for such bug is tricky so for now I was forward porting what we
> added to 17pre4 (and it seems it's better to have the bug as in ac22-riel
> that to run with such a fix as in ac22-class and 17pre4). I'd suggest to
> try again ac22-class plus this below patch (the result will be interesting
> also for 17pre4). You can find explanation of the patch in recent email to

Tried both riel++ and your patch (I call it class++). (sorry for the delay,
had examinations duty (surveilance)).

riel++: roughly the same cache, buffer & swap usage (slightly more). 20 more
seconds to complete (horrible). Discarded :-)

class++:kills init at boot (sometimes). depmod now reads in the whole
partition (takes ages, useless, spits even more warnings in the console than
reiserfs mount). hostname does not work. All in all, a lot of random stuff
not working properly (sounds like you've broken reiserfs).

<ignore>Since I run reiserfs root, I'm sorry I can't follow you on this patch
(and no, I won't go back to ext2: the simple sight of ext2fs on an 8Mb /boot
makes me sick. The responsible for this allergy is the shape of the VM since
2.3.49)</ignore>

I hope this helps...

--
Grumpf.