Re: Floppy handling

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 10:01:43 EST

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Writes being reordered and coalesced is fine. That's disabled by "-o
> sync" when you do a sequence of operations such as
> open/write/write/write/close, open/write/close. "-o sync" forces every
> operation to wait until it's finished writing to the disk before you can
> continue with the next one.

 OK, then the whole issue should be not a problem -- lets just make the
writeback timeout configurable somehow. Via a mount option, for example.

> Well it's just as much a problem as now. You can already remove a disk
> after writing it, without unmounting, provided all the data reached the
> disk. The problem is when you insert the next disk :-)

 So what? Unless a disk change detector is damaged (quite unlikely for
3.5" drives; I don't think 5.25" are that much used anymore) we already
know the disk got replaced. As long as further fs writes are disabled
until a mount there is no problem.