Re: shrink_mmap() change in ac-21

From: willy@thepuffingroup.com
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 12:01:30 EST

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 06:14:33PM +0200, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> I'm also concerned about 1GB boxes:
> the highmem zone only contains ~ 64 MB (or 128?), and so most allocations go
> into a tiny zone and are then "downgraded" to GFP_NORMAL.

Not that I want to get involved with the VM system in _any way at all_,
but bcrl pointed out that highmem doesn't really cost a lot, so why not
change to:

3GB user space
512MB vmalloc space
512MB kernel space

i don't think there are many machines with amounts of RAM between 512MB
and 768MB so the worst case is that only 1/3 of the RAM is high, instead
of 1/8 (vmalloc is currently 128MB of 1GB). i know jeff garzik wants
more vmalloc space for a frame grabber so maybe now is the right time
to make that change?

--
The Sex Pistols were revolutionaries.  The Bay City Rollers weren't.