Re: shrink_mmap() change in ac-21

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 11:18:38 EST

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>
> >if those wrong zones are quite full. If the DMA zone desparately needs
> >free pages and keeps needing them, isn't it good to encourage future
> >non-DMA allocations to use another zone? Removing pages from other
>
> After some time the DMA zone will be full again anyway and you
> payed a cost that consists in throwing away unrelated innocent
> pages. I'm not convinced it's the right thing to do.

I didn't know for sure either until I tested -ac21 on my
192MB workstation. The bursts kswapd went through when
it was freeing DMA memory (and 8MB of other memory) have
convinced me that this is not a good idea.

Also, since kswapd stops when all zones have free_pages
above pages_low and we'll free up to pages_high pages of
one zone, it means that we'll:

- allocate the next series of pages from that one zone
  with tons of unused pages
- wake up kswapd so we'll free the *next* unused pages
  from that zone when we run out of the current batch
- rinse and repeat

This means we'll do a *lot* more allocations from the
less loaded zones than from the other zone, with a few
(short) interruptions by kswapd. Also, there's no need
to throw away data early.

Of course, once we have a scavenge list (in the active
inactive scavenge list VM) this whole point will be moot
and we just want to avoid doing too much IO at once).

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/