Re: Floppy Handling

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 19:14:01 EST

"Steve Holdener" <steve.holdener@wwt.com> said:

[...]

> I really don't see the point of all these complex schemes, anyway. In my
> experience, a floppy disk is rarely used for heavy I/O where kewl
> buffering techniques might improve performance. AFAIK, the common case
> goes, "insert disk, read (or write), remove disk"--in quick succession.
>
> Make it easy and minimize the load on system resources. This leads me
> back to my initial suggestion:
>
> mount, r/w, umount

mtools(1) does exactly that. Fully userspace, similar enough to DOS for the
most hardened PC user. Even works under other Unices...
Or use the graphical tools Gnome gives (and I'm sure KDE does too).
Or do the trick documented in the automount doco.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616