Re: System.map

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 17:45:41 EST

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.04.10006181329340.13755-100000@beaker.bluetopia.net>
By author: Ricky Beam <jfbeam@bluetopia.net>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> >>Agreed. /boot is used in most of the programs that use the map file tho and not
> >>too many of the programs look in the /lib/modules dir.
> ><aol>Me Too</aol>. The amount of crud that gets stuck in /boot by
> >distributions is horrendous. /boot should contain boot loader stuff
> >only, i.e. second stage loaders, kernels and disk maps for the kernel
> >blocks. System.map and .config should go in /lib/modules/`uname -r`,
> >even on systems that have no modules. No need for a separate directory
> >like /lib/kernel, it would be just one more place to clean up.
>
> I don't understand you people. You start off with "it doesn't belong
> in /boot as it has nothing to do with boot-up." But with your very next
> breath, you suggest placing it in /lib/modules where it _clearly_ does not
> belong -- it's not a module; it's not used by modules or with module loading
> (unless you have a "HACKER TOOL" modutils); and gerenally has NOTHING AT ALL
> to do with modules.
>
> It at least has SOME validity for being in /boot as that's where the kernel
> is. It needs to be placed somewhere and along side the kernel it references
> is the best place I can think of.

Then you're not thinking very hard. /boot is frequently a separate
filesystem, and may even be non-disk media. Anything which doesn't
belong there is serious baggage. /lib is not a separate partition;
the fact that the only per-kernel path is /lib/modules is somewhat
unfortunate, but changing it to /lib/kernel/`uname -r`/modules at this
point seems way too much like work.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt