Re: /etc/modules.conf and USB

From: Frank van Maarseveen (F.vanMaarseveen@inter.NL.net)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 16:20:16 EST

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 10:29:03AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 08:58:47AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
>
> > man modules.conf. Look at the "before" and "after" options, they are
> > designed for this sort of inter-module dependency when symbols alone
> > will not do the job.
>
> Does that work when modules are autounloaded one by one?
Not tested, but I expect problems.

I have given it some thought but the fact that all drivers must
be loaded before uhci is not good. When uhci cannot find a driver
for something on the bus it should first try to load the driver
instead of dumping all the USB info to syslog. Now it seems that I'm
forced to load the complete USB driver suite in advance. Who knows
what kind of device I'm going to attach...

(actually one can think of two policies: one where plugging in the device
causes the modprobe and one where device inode use causes the modprobe. I
guess that the first is the coolest and also compatible with PCMCIA and
family, but correct me when I'm wrong)

Also, I think it is best for usbdevfs to make it part of /proc.
The name is a bit misleading because there are no device nodes
such as with devfs and mounting it on /proc/bus/usb is awful.

Oh, and I still see:
Jun 19 22:55:21 iapetus kernel: hub.c: giving up on killing khubd
Jun 19 22:55:21 iapetus kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver hub

Easy to reproduce:
        Alias usbdevfs to usbcore
        mount usbdevfs somewhere
        umount it