Re: IA64 version of 2.4.0-test1 has compile errors/config errors

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 16:09:56 EST

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff V Merkey <jmerkey@timpanogas.com> writes:

Jeff> "Separate but equal" was ruled by the US Supreme Court to be an
Jeff> invalid concept relative to civil rights cases -- I think it's
Jeff> probably a good precedent for Linux. I understand that the IA64
Jeff> folks should get the message in the most efficient manner
Jeff> possible, but unless I am mistaken, there's only "one" master
Jeff> Linux tree, and unless the two are planned to diverge,
Jeff> www.kernel.org should be the central repository for IA64, just
Jeff> like any other Linux port, otherwise, we get the current
Jeff> situation -- the build at www.kernel.org is not always current
Jeff> or at the expected level of completeness that the rest of Linux
Jeff> enjoys.

David posts patches relative to Linus' trr on ftp.kernel.org, you are
supposed to apply that patch on top of Linus' tree before compiling a
kernel for the ia64.

Jeff> It took me over four hours Sunday to locate and
Jeff> download all the patches and fixes from www.ia64linux.org and
Jeff> hp.com to get the build from www.kernel.org to even compile for
Jeff> IA64. It was a "jolting" experience, and I could see where your
Jeff> average Linux user who was trying to get IA64 Linux up and
Jeff> running could be left with the impression that it's "not quite
Jeff> cooked".

You know what, it's been like that for non x86 ports for years, we try
to fold the stable trees into the official tree and keep the
architecture specific changes uptodate in the development
trees. However things are changing so fast and there is only *one*
Linus that you *cannot* in any reasonable way expect to have anything
integrated at all times.

Jeff> At any rate, I'll forward it on, but this list should be the
Jeff> correct forum for Linux general issues, and at some point, IA64
Jeff> should merge competely with this linux effort, since it's the
Jeff> primary source for most people on Planet Earth who run Linux.

And linux-kernel is already so overloaded with rubbish because a lot
of people keep posting tons of totally non kernel related questions
here (or say answers to the list which are just a personal thank you
and a copy of the entire previous email .... hint hint). Having a
dedicated mailing list per architecture to handle architecture
specific questions is very useful.

Jes