Re: Are there still ext2fs corruption problems?

From: wes (wes@spacestar.net)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 01:24:26 EST

"Kenneth C. Arnold" wrote:

> Although I have had some recent freezes, bootup fsck has shown no problems.
> However, I'm seeing some really weird (yeah I know you've probably seen
> weirder) stuff in /etc (ext2). Sample shell session below:
>
> dolphin:/etc# l mime.types
> b---r-S--T 1 nobody 26994 44, 101 Aug 20 2021 mime.types
> # why the heck is that a device? It used to be a regular file, and it was
> # like that before I ran fsck manually. And what's with those weird perms?
> dolphin:/etc# rm -f mime.types
> rm: cannot unlink `mime.types': Operation not permitted
> # Huh?
> dolphin:/etc# chown root.root mime.types
> chown: mime.types: Operation not permitted
> # HUH?!?!

man lsattr
man chattr

But even then, some of these funny files won't go away. I've got one
that's a (fake) 961M symlink to nowhere and several more that are device
files. e2fsck is happy with them but I'm not.

For me the problem is happening with 2.2.17preX. 2.2.16pre4 is OK,
2.2.16 bad, and
every 2.2.17preX bad. No time yet to see which patch introduces the
problem. Happens with both stock kernel IDE and with latest IDE patch.
Hardware is AMD K6-2/500, VIA chipset, WD14300R drives. I pass
idebus=33 in on the kernel command line like it wants. No funny
modules, no overclocking, quiet machine. I get IDE DMA timeouts logged
that I've never seen before. Only change is kernel. Userspace is
Debian Potato.

My guess is this is VIA-specific, but I can't risk any more tests until
my backup server is back online. I hope someone has more clues on this
than I do.

wes schreiner