2.2.x Serial Console Hangs on bootup

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 17:25:26 EST

Since some 2.2 kernels (at least 2.2.13 - 2.2.16) I see hangs with the
serial console on bootup: I have several SMP machines (it seems to only
occur there) with serial console + vty console configured. In about 1-2
of 20 boots they hang with

Serial driver vers

(always at the same place with the truncated word). Only a hard reset helps
them, afterwards they boot fine again. It looks like the serial driver
locks up while dumping the buffered kernel log after register_console()

It does not seem to be hardware specific, I've seen it with very different
boards and different CPU speeds, just all boxes SMP.

As a special case i usually have a login talking on the other end of the
serial console. It is possible that the lockup only occurs when the login
sends data in the wrong moment.

-Andi