Re: System.map

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 12:29:29 EST

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
>> Alas this is a distribution problem, all l-k can do is recommend a
>> standard.
>
>And hard-code a test in init/main:init() to test for /boot/System.map
>and call BUG() if found. This would probably clean up most bad
>practice since many/most distribution installers are sufficiently
>braindamaged to put /boot on /.
>
>If they wise up and start making /boot a separate partition, we can
>add a similar test to do_mount().

Richard, I don't know if you're trying to be funny or waving the big red
"idiot" flag...

It takes a matter of nanoseconds for a distribution to turn off blatant
shit code like that -- they already muck with things too much as it is.

Let me see if I have this right... you want the kernel to panic because
there's a file somewhere in the filesystem?!? Gee, why not just give
hackers a loaded shotgun and a key to the server room? I, for one, would
rather hunt you down and kill you than be forced to remove the hard drive
from an installed system so I can erase a #^@#%^&#$^# file. You're
suggesting stopping the kernel before an operator has ANY chance to
correct the machine.

--Ricky