Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #1005

From: jlewis@lewis.org
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 10:30:52 EST

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:

> From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:51:10 +0100 (BST)
> Subject: Linux 2.2.17pre4
>
> I am very interested to know if 2.2.17pre3 fixes the hangs under load some
> people reported with 14/15/16.
>
> 2.2.17pre4
> o Winchip C6 has buggy TSC (Dave Jones)
> o TCP crash workaround for the problem seen by
> auctionnet (Alexey Kuznetsov)
> o VM improvements (mm-fix-3) (Andrea Arcangeli)
> o Revert parport change in pre2 for now (me)

I guess the parport change must have caused problems for some people? Do
you know how bad, or what types of systems were affected? I was trying to
upgrade one of my home systems (Tyan Tomcat II dual P120) from 2.2.6 to
2.2.17pre3 last night. It's my print server, so it uses
parport/parport_pc/lp. With those linked into the kernel, the system would
hang towards the end of the Red Hat (5.2) init scripts. With them as
modules, it would hang when I tried to print. Before I could complain, I
noticed your 2.2.17pre4 message and decided to give it a try. I just booted
2.2.17pre4 SMP with parport/parport_pc/lp as modules and successfully
printed.

So, do all systems running 2.2.17pre[23] need to be upgraded to at least
2.2.17pre4 or does the bug only affect certain systems/configs?