Very touchy eager-to-remake make or kernel makefiles?

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 04:17:38 EST

Hi,

I've just noticed that yet again make seems to be building a lot of
files for apparantly no reason.

Let me explain my situation. I have one master tree. From this master
tree, I rsync the actual kernel build trees on various machines, and then
start each tree building.

I have built these trees to completion twice thus far, and have just made
some modifications to the following files:

 arch/arm/kernel/setup.c
 arch/arm/special/Makefile
 arch/arm/special/README
 drivers/acorn/char/Makefile
 drivers/acorn/char/defkeymap-acorn.c
 drivers/char/Makefile
 drivers/char/console.c

So, no reason to rebuild kernel/signal.c, since no header files have
changed, nor has the version number or anything like that. Neither
have the compilation flags, C compiler or build environment changed.
The times on each machine are synchronised.

Yet, make seems to find a reason, and is currently rebuilding it
along with many other files in each tree!

  gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/v2.4/linux-assabet/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -msoft-float -mshort-load-bytes -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm110 -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c signal.c
  gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/v2.4/linux-ebsa110/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -msoft-float -mshort-load-bytes -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm110 -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c signal.c
  arm-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/v2.4/linux-ebsa285/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -pipe -msoft-float -DNO_TEXT_SECTIONS -m6 -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c signal.c
  arm-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src2/v2.4/linux-rpc/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -pipe -msoft-float -DNO_TEXT_SECTIONS -m6 -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c signal.c

(both make 3.74 and make 3.77 appear to behave the same)

I'm confused why make should behave like this. Any ideas? It's
a shame make doesn't have an option which causes it to print just
the reason (not its complete database) for the compilation of a
file.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\