Re: Alan, tie a string around your finger

From: Xuan Baldauf (xuan--reiserfs@baldauf.org)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 14:38:01 EST

Frank van Maarseveen wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 05:16:15PM +0200, Xuan Baldauf wrote:
> > over night (my box is not the fastest). This usually works fine. But everytime
> > you forget to update EXTRAVERSION, I get my modules overwritten in the wrong
> > place.
> >
> > So *please* use a script which automatically increments EXTRAVERSION (I'm sure
> > you use a script
> Umm, something you could check in a script as well...

I do not know Alan's build-a-new-ac-patch-scripts, they are not in the kernel
source. As a consequence, I cannot provide a patch. I also assume that Alan is very
smart, so he surely can write such a script in a couple of minutes. But if he does
not have the time:

#!/bin/bash
#
# This script increments the XX of "-acXX" patches. It should be run from
`pwd`="/usr/src".
#

cd linux.ac
EXTRAVERSIONLINE=`grep <Makefile "EXTRAVERSION ="`
ACVERSION="${EXTRAVERSIONLINE##*-ac}"
ACVERSIONN="$(($ACVERSION+1))"
EXTRAVERSIONLINEN=`echo $EXTRAVERSIONLINE|sed s/$ACVERSION/$ACVERSIONN/`
if sed <Makefile >Makefile.new "s/$EXTRAVERSIONLINE/$EXTRAVERSIONLINEN/"; then
 mv Makefile Makefile.old
 mv Makefile.new Makefile
else
 echo "error: will not move Makefiles"