Recent kernels and Adaptec error checking..

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 14:05:56 EST

Last night I added a PCI CMI833x card to my main development system (cause
I needed an extra midi port). The system was a PII running
2.4.0-test1-ac13, after booting up, the system was behving very funny and
never made it past a login prompt as I started getting ext2 errors and I
hit the big-red-switch.

I tried booting into 2.2.15, however, it refused to boot dyeing at the
adaptec driver with SCB/sequencer errors. After repeated retrys it still
refused to boot, but 2.4.0-test1-ac13 (and another AC 2.4 I tried, I
believe AC12).

I then removed the CMI833x and 2.2 booted fine. Aparently there was
something wrong with the card (I found it in the bottom of a box in my
computer storage room, so I'm not supprised).. 2.2 was smart enough not to
boot with it, while 2.3 happily booted.

The problem caused massive corruption on all file systems on the box, wide
swaths of inodes were filled with seemingly random garbage. Directory
entries contained kernel boot messages, etc..

Fortunatly, I had things backedup, so my actuall loss was minimal.

Perhaps someone needs to check why the 2.3 adaptec driver failed to
fail. :)