Re: Buffer use by the kernel

From: Ludovic LANGE (ludovic.lange@free.fr)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 18:47:25 EST

Hi there,

After a few moments of daily use, I can say that, in fact, not loading the NTFS
driver helps very much. Before, I had to reboot quite every day.
Now, it's better (I only had to reboot once since Wednesday)
However, it (ntfs) seems not to be the only culprit, because the buffer use
seems to keep growing (it can be stable very long, then, one day/hour the buffer
grows a little.) until reaching my total memory size.

For the record, my daily use is :
Wake-up the laptop.
Do some work including use of XFree86, Netscape 4.73 for both Internet and the
Mail, KDE environment, telnet, ssh, tcpdump, etc...
APM is used a few times : the screen saver blanks the screen after a few minutes
of inactivity, and each evening I put the laptop into sleep mode, either by
APM command-line utility, or using the built-in button on the laptop (which
seems to be doing the same thing).

Any (other) idea ? Thanks !!

Ludovic LANGE wrote:

> I'm trying without loading NTFS module.
>
> Thanks a lot for the reply !
>
> I'll give you the results of my tests.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ludovic LANGE
>
> Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
>
> > At 21:30 12/06/2000, Ludovic LANGE wrote:
> > >I have a PII, 400MHz, Compaq portable. 128M. 1Go partition for Linux.
> > >A redhat 6.2 distro, with a 2.2.16 kernel hand-compiled, + APM + PCMCIA
> > >+ NTFS driver .
> > >
> > >Any clue to track the buffer use ?
> >
> > NTFS driver is top suspicion. - This is a know problem however nobody has
> > managed to come up with an explanation yet of why it happens.
> >
> > Just to verify its the NTFS driver could you recompile without it or if its
> > a module do not insert the module into the kernel and see if the situation
> > is drastically improved. - Please let me know the outcome!
> >
> > >Is there a way to log or print which part of the kernel uses these
> > >buffers ?
> >
> > You can monitor buffers using "vmstat 1". - This will run vmstat and output
> > one line every second about how many resources are being used (man vmstat
> > for details). - Of course you could set the time from 1 second up to
> > something else if you find that more convenient...
> >
> > This doesn't however tell you who is using resources, just that they are
> > being used.
> >
> > Anton
> >
> > --
> >
> > "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he
> > learned in school." - Albert Einstein
> >
> > --
> > Anton Altaparmakov Voice: 01223-333541(lab) / 07712-632205(mobile)
> > Christ's College eMail: AntonA@bigfoot.com
> > Cambridge CB2 3BU ICQ: 8561279
> > United Kingdom WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/
:.˛mkabzwmb˛mbz_^nrzh&zvy杶ii