Re: IA64 ncurses Library for NUE

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 12:34:31 EST

David,

I worked on the NUE and SKI stuff until 1 a.m. last night and got all of
out NWFS code running and built under IA64, and here's what I found was
busted in the NUE program with ncurses.

In the nue-fs.rpm file that comes with the NUE IA64 shell, the file
nucurses.h is symbolically linked to curses.h in /usr/include.

i.e.

ncurses.h -> curses.h

Except that the curses.h file is missing from the distribution. rpm
--rebuild ncurses* works on RedHat 6.1, but does not work on RedHat 6.2
(which is what I use on my desktop).

You also have a bug in the initscr() function in your version of
libcurses.so that does not map the keyboard properly to the terminal
type when keypad() is called. When ncurses terminates with the app,
endwin() is not reseting the terminal correctly, and you have to
manually type "reset".

Also, the HD ioctl calls are improperly implemented, and returns

linux-syscall: suspect ioctl 0x301

when you attempt to do a simply open() and ioctl(GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY)
[HD-GET_GEO].

FYI. What's up there seems to work OK if you are using printf() and no
ioctl() function calls.

:-)

Jeff