Re: Deadlock (Was: psaux device regression in 2.2.16)

From: Markus Gutschke (markus@gutschke.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 12:55:09 EST

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 07:41:13PM +0000, Markus Gutschke wrote:
>
> > While I haven't had the time to back out the changes to the psaux
> > code just yet, I can confirm that 2.2.16 definitly broke handling of
> > the PS/2 code. On my SMP Pentium III, 2.2.16 deadlocks after a few
> > hours. This always seems to be correlated to me moving the mouse
> > pointer (I have a Logitech trackball).
>
> The previous poster withdrew his bug report, so if anything
> is wrong there, you are the first to report it.
> At first sight it seems unlikely that the PS/2 change
> could cause a deadlock. If your deadlock is reproducible,
> then I expect you will be able to attribute it to something else.

The deadlock is quite reproducible. Ever since I upgraded to 2.2.16,
I had my machine deadlock four or five times. This always happens
after a few hours uptime, and it always happens right after I touched
the mouse. Unfortunately, at that stage the machine is completely
unresponsive and I cannot do any more debugging. That's why I thought
that it might have to do with PS/2 changes that have just been made.
But maybe it is an interrupt problem? As far as I can tell, there
shouldn't be anything unusual. The first thing that I checked was,
whether IRQ 12 was shared; but it seems to be handling just the mouse.
So that appears to be OK. I am a little at a loss what to do now;
any suggestions as to how to trace down the bug would be very much
appreciated.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                                Resonate, Inc.
3637 Fillmore Street #106                      385 Moffett Park Drive