Re: [Toshiba IDE DMA BUG] Pinpointed version

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 18:30:16 EST

Marc Duponcheel wrote:
> > The problem is that it's wrong. Some of that 64M isn't available for
> > kernel use. I forget the details -- either it was ACPI "reclaimable"
> > (but not really) memory or it was behaving as some kind of ROM.
>
> on 2.3.99-pre8 "mem=128M" reports 126884 with 'free' (whereas it
> reports 128880 with 2.2.15 without any "mem=") and seems to be stable
> during huge rsync's during which it used to fail guarantied. Of course
> there is about 2 meg difference which is maybe enough to avoid trouble

Ok, maybe the latest memory detection code got in before 2.3.99-pre8.
That should fix it.

I haven't looked at the recent patches because (a) 2.3.99's VM is
apparently so broken it would be daft to try actually using it; (b) my
local ISP seems incapable of getting more then ~100byte/s from _any_ of
the kernel mirrors.

But when I do take a look, I'll try Pavel's quick memory test on it to
see if it's now doing the right thing. And I'll compare the new code
with the temporary fix that's in my local kernel.

-- Jamie