Re: Fixing invalidate_inode_pages() and mmapped files...

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 13:10:58 EST

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> Would the following compromise be acceptable? It differs from Andreas
> previous attempt by the extra line which clears PG_uptodate on the
> page.

It touches the "Uptodate" bit without holding the page lock, which means
that there could be any number of random races causing undefined
behaviour..

I'd rather not do this. I see the logic to it, but I also feel that it is
definitely the wrong thing to do.

It also means that you might have a page mapped even though it is marked
not-up-todate, which sounds very wrong.

                Linus