More simultaneous language support for console besides one?

From: M Sweger (mikesw@whiterose.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 13:07:04 EST

Hi,
   I'm using the lynx web browser and must select the language font I
want to display (besides English) one at a time. :( This isn't nice
,especially if one wants to view russian, hebrew, chinese/japan/korean,
arabic .... all on the console screen at once, and be different for each
virtual console. I've compiled into the kernel, support for all the code
pages and NLS support - unicode support isn't selectable.

   Is there anyway that future linux kernels will display more than one
foreign font on the console and virtual console at the same
time? I realize that Xwindows and other such GUI s/w pkgs can display
them, but I'd like to see the console do it too.

Perhaps this can be made a kernel compile option for more than
one language font vs. just the native one one wants to use.

What about keyboard support in terms of being able to enter the
characters for Chinese, korean, russian .....at the console when
the keyboard is English? How can the program determine which language
character I'm inputting for a the fixed keyboard type and keep the
language and associated character code straight without getting confused?

Any thoughts....