Re: 2.2.15 performance issues (sort of VM fiasco)

From: Markus Stenberg (mstenber@cc.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 01:36:39 EST

Paul Barton-Davis <pbd@Op.Net> writes:
> Although I understand that the problems with VM are ongoing in
> 2.3.99-preXX, I have been very discouraged that 2.2.15 (in marked
> contrast to 2.2.10, and possibly above) has been rendered unusable
> with apps that do substantial amounts of streaming disk i/o.

2.2.14 works fine, although I think that 2.2 series in general seems to
have braindead paging behavior. To be precise: I think that some form of
"maximal/minimal buffer size" option seems to be in order soon, as (back at
my previous company) I had machine with "only" 128MB of RAM, and I
regularly used only 60-90MB of it, and it still swapped like hell under 2.2
series in general and 2.2.14 in particular, whenever I did something
disk-heavy such as "cvs update". It raped the performance, so I wound up
turning swapfile off. No more problems.

In my next place of employment, I needed bit more bloated apps so I got
192MB of RAM, turned swap off, and even 2.2.15 works fine for me
:-P

> -

-Markus

--
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam."

"I have a catapult. Unless you give me all the money, I will throw an enormous rock at your head."

-- stolen from someone's .sig at some time [1996?]