Re: Concern about 2.2.15 Adaptec 7xxx drivers - FOLLOWUP

From: Robert A. Hayden (rhayden@geek.net)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 20:05:22 EST

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > May 5 01:57:46 geek kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 348257, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Read (10) 00 01 85 d7 d9 00 00 08 00
> > May 5 01:57:46 geek kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 348262, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read (10) 00 00 06 72 9a 00 00 08 00
> > May 5 01:57:46 geek kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 348258, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 00 00 41 00 00 02 00
>
> Doh. Read the subject line when waking up in the morning
>
> The adaptec driver has changed. (2.2.15pre3) so it would be nice to
> know 2.2.15pre2 is ok and 2.2.15pre3 breaks. If so then you can be fairly
> sure its the aic7xxx driver that is involved.,

Alan et al,

I think I raised a false alarm last night in blaming my problem on
possible changes in the Adaptec 7xxx drivers. Today during my maintenance
window, I did another full backup using BRU and got similiar errors as I
reported previously. This is under kernel 2.2.14.

I suspect what I have is a bad sector on one of the drives in the
RAID. The RAID isn't bright enough to handle it (cuz, after all, the
drive is still working) and it leads to problems when that file or sector
is addressed. It's an obscure file since it only gets tagged by the
backup.

This really leaves me with two choices:

1) Fail each drive, in turn, in the RAID and have it rebuild. The format
that's part of the rebuild process might correct or map around the bad
sector on the drive.

2) Fail each drive, in turn, and replacing it with a new drive. Then
determine offline if the replaced drive is bad and send it back for a
replacement under warranty.

3) Rebuild the system from backup. I may go this route as it will let me
address some other partition layout issues I have as well. It just takes
a lot more effort and attention to detail to get everything back up and
running.

Thanks for the help.

- Robert