Re: SIFMAP - struct ifmap portability API issue

From: Philip Blundell (Philip.Blundell@pobox.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 16:03:34 EST

>The problem area is base_addr. It appears to assume that you always have
>a maximum of a 64K IO space, which is obviously broken for 64-bit
>architectures and other machines which have more than a 64K IO space.

Yes, it's a bad interface. Changing struct ifmap is a pain because it
requires you to provide replacements for a whole bunch of ioctls. The reason
nobody has done anything about it is really that the exported base address
isn't terribly useful - ifconfig uses it for display purposes, but ISA is
about the only bus for which this is interesting information, and there of
course it does fit in 16 bits.

>I propose that we need to obsolete the current SIOC[SG]IFMAP ioctls and
>introduce new ones which supply a 32-bit version of the base address
>(and explicitly pad the structure, rather than just commenting that
>there are 3 bytes spare).

Go ahead and add a replacement. I would suggest that you just leave the
existing struct ifmap well alone rather than trying to do away with it.

Out of interest, what is it that you want this for?

p.