Re: Why verify_area ?

From: Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 03:06:16 EST

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 06:00:03PM +0530, pnilesh@in.ibm.com wrote:

> Why verify_area is used in sys_select () and not at all places when we
> copy from/to user space ?

Most the userspace access routines, that is copy_from_user, copy_to_user,
get_user, put_user, clear_user etc. verify addresses themselfes before
actually using them. In case where we do multiple subsequent accesses
to userspace we want to verify the address only once and use the
double underscore variants __copy_from_user, __get_user etc. of above
routines.

  Ralf