Re: Different tcp connect behaviour in 2.2.5 and 2.2.12

From: Meelis Roos (mroos@linux.ee)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 14:33:32 EST

FR> I developed a client/server app that worked fine with kernel 2.2.5 but
FR> behaves not the way I want under kernel 2.2.12.
FR> My client connects to my server on port 5001 and the client does a local
FR> bind on port 6002 for that socket first, i.p. addresses are all localhost.

This is normal behaviour. You always want to connect from the same port.
In Internet this is not a good thing because there may be some old
packets around for up to 255 seconds. If you establish a new connection
on exactly same IP-s and ports then the old packet may finally arrive
and confuse things.

IMHO it's not worth to make localhost an exception here even if would
not have these old packets wandering around.

Later 2.2 kernels probably just fixed that. Don't specify the source
port - this is normal practice in Internet.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@linux.ee)