Re: calling ext2fs function

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 13:04:08 EST

Hi,

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 12:11:14AM +0300, BenHanokh Gabriel wrote:
> > Why don't you just use GFS and be done with it? :-)
> >
> i agree their design looks real nice, but it is not ready yet, and i need this
> things to work now( that's way i'm not trying ext3fs nor xfs )
> when the GFS will stablaize i will defintlly try it.
> even if we will decide later to move to GFS i still used my time well learning
> about FS design.

The trouble is, ext2 doesn't work right now _either_ for multiple nodes
accessing the same disk. You'd be much better off helping with GFS, as
it was designed from the ground up to support shared disks.

There are fundamental obstacles to using ext2 on shared devices. For
example, we have completely idependent data structures, such as the
group descriptors and inodes, which share a single block on disk.
That's fine for a single accessor, but on a shared disk it makes it
impossible to modify those data structures atomically without locking
data which might be in use on other nodes too.

Really, ext2 is just not designed for shared-disk usage. GFS is.

--Stephen