Re: serial.c

From: Rich Bryant (rfb6435@osfmail.isc.rit.edu)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 09:47:08 EST

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:35:00 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Rich Bryant <rfb6435@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
>
> Thanks for the response(Both Ted and Steve) I agree that changing the
> kernel isn't something easy and I am being asked to make or atleast look
> into some very major changes in order to fit a linux system into a very
> small system.
>
> How small is small in this case?

About as small as it gets. 486 microprocessor, 8254, 16550, 8259 a boot
ROM and A 32M SIMM. Originally the system was supposed to be burned to the
ROM and operate out of ram disk, but we didn't realize how large the
libraries required by the executables were.

My priorities have now switched to trying to get just work on the base
drivers with console on the serial port, etc. There has been talk of
chaning the file system and using some other system that doesn't require
large libraries. In a way it is a rework of Linux for a very focused
purpose rather than general use as in a PC. I am not sure that Linux is
even the correct starting point anymore.

Sorry about the holy war over documentation. I didn't mean to say "You
have to do this" or anything to that effect, but I do think that more
documentation would make Linux seem more professional and a more viable
solution commercially. If that is the groups goal then it should be
considered. I was rather frustrated with things when I originally
posted. :)

-Rich