Re: serial.c

From: Peter Rival (frival@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 09:59:07 EST

Rich Bryant wrote:

> Thanks for the response(Both Ted and Steve) I agree that changing the
> kernel isn't something easy and I am being asked to make or atleast look
> into some very major changes in order to fit a linux system into a very
> small system. I appoligize if I am over generalizing or acting like I want
> everything in life to be easy.
>
> My main frustration that I have with the Kernel is that it is hard to
> get a grasp on where things are defined. I see a function call that has no
> description, and doesn't even have a reference to what file it is in. I
> then have to grep through directories looking for it.

If this is the biggest thing, maybe you should look at cscope. SCO has
open-sourced it recently on sourceforge. I've used it quite a bit and it's
really _quite_ useful if you're not sure where to find something. Also helps
quite a bit if you're tracking down performance problems so you make sure to
catch all the cases where xyz() is called. :) Check it out...

 - Pete

<snip>