Re: Possible bug with fs clean mask [was Re: [patch-2.3.99-pre7-6] O_SYNC Reactivation]

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 16:13:45 EST

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I had a weird problem with 2.3.99-pre6:
> > If the kernel crashes a few seconds after mounting the root filesystem
> > read-write, then it won't fsck on reboot. It seems that the "volume
> > dirty" flag is not written immediately.
> > That feature saves a lot of time during debugging, but I have some
> > doubts that this is really a feature...
>
> This is not new with 2.3.99, I've seen it before. And now, I'm not
> sure it is a feature, either!

Provided the dirty flag is written before any other write accesses are
performed, this is perfectly valid. It's only once the drive has been
written to that it is dirty - setting the flag before this would be a bug,
as would not setting it after this.

Is it truly a "5 second delay", or similar, or does it just [correctly]
only set the dirty flag after the first write?

James.