Re: eepro100 probs

From: Tim Hockin (thockin@isunix.it.ilstu.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 12:31:48 EST

> Interesting. There are several identical reports for the 3com drivers.
> The so-called "sleepy NIC" problem, where a NIC which is completely idle
> for 20-30 minutes loses its ability to receive.

these are exactly the symptoms - are the trouble systems behind Cisco 29xx
or 35xx switches (the only confirmed errors I have are behind these
switches)? Strangely, some people say the problem goes away when we RMA
the hardware - trying to get Fab dates etc, still data gathering.

> Some people have resorted to a cron job which pings another machine once
> every ten minutes.

we have resorted to this for high-trouble sites.

> I wonder if it is due to the switch? Or perhaps some Linux problem
> above the device driver? Or common to the MII transceiver h/w or
> driver?

Very odd indeed. If you come up with anything on it, PLEASE keep me
informed, too :) We have had endless grief with it. What 3com NICs are
doing it?

Tim