Problems with 3com network card during interface config

From: ferret@phonewave.net
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 11:50:50 EST

As far as I know this is specific to my 3com card, a 3c905B-TX.
This card has been in two different machines running on different kernels
and using the basic 3c59x driver in each.

The card on its own autoconfigures to be 100bTX, but is forced to be 10bT
when the 'eth' interface is configured.

I've used it with 2.2.12/ifconfig (version found in Debian slink -
machine's currently without a CPU), and 2.2.14 and 2.3.99-pre6 with
ifconfig and ifup (calls ifconfig with tweaks)

In all cases (I'm watching the status lights on my 10/100 autosensing hub)
the '100' link light goes out and a second or so later the '10' link light
goes on. Also, if I down the interface and rmmod the driver, most of the
time (2 out of 3 or so) my hub reports a collision on that port.

I've ran the second machine perfectly fine with a via-rhine and a
tulip-based card in 100bTX mode. Might there be an alternate driver to
use, or should I try to contact 3com to find out if the card is still in
warranty?