Re: oops, segfaults with 2.3.99-pre6 laptop

From: Matt Bernstein (matt@theBachChoir.org.uk)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 09:36:23 EST

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Andrew Morton wrote:
>matt@theBachChoir.org.uk wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying for ages to get a Toshiba laptop running, and finally when
>> I get to the point when X + sound + network etc etc are all starting to be
>> happy (having gone to 2.3.xx) I find that the thing is not only oopsing all
>> over the place, but (even before this) loads of userspace apps are
>> segfaulting.
>
>This is precisely the same as the error I reported a couple of weeks
>back (Toshiba Satellite 4100 XDVD, 2.3.99-pre7).

I don't currently have physical access to the box (how ironic for a
laptop) but it may well be the same model. Don't think it's a DVD, though.

>Your 'struct poll_table' in __poll_wait() is getting 0xffffffff written
>all over it.
>
>For me, this was associated with IDE DMA timeouts.
>
>Are you using IDE DMA? Have you tried turning it off? (hdparm -d 0
>/dev/hda)?

I saw this, but the oops I reported were after turning DMA off :( (did your
problem go away after switching off DMA?)

>I also observed 4k lumps of 0xff getting written into NFS-served files.
>It makes me think that _something_, probably in the IDE code is spraying
>blocks of 0xff into places where it shouldn't.

At least I'm not going to immediately blame the hardware now.. I'll try
pre7-8 (or whatever else comes out before I finish typing :) and test
whatever people want to throw at me.

Matt