RE: (MAC/DAC) RE: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 07:43:11 EST

allbery@kf8nh.apk.net:
> On 9 May, Linda Walsh wrote:
> +-----
> | > NT getting a certification pretty much rules out the possibility of taking
> | > the criteria seriously...
> | ---
> | NT is only cert'ed at the lower level and to the old standard (C2)
> | and only in a "standalone" configuration (no network hookups) -- like
> | yeah...running an aircraft carrier...:-)
> +--->8
>
> And no floppy.
>
> And don't forget: that the system meets C2 says nothing about whether
> it *works*, it only says that it tracks the information demanded by C2.

I believe you are referring to the NT 3.5 certification, not the NT 4.0
certification. It may not have a floppy, but I believe it does have network
connections. If I remember the announcement it was evaluated in UK, and
for EAL 3, and whatever was closest to the old C2 level model. I believe EAL 3
only requires that the software run in a "standard environment". Nothing
about failure rates, reliability (even of the audit functions).