Bug abou NBD

From: liu xg (xg_liu@freemail.online.tj.cn)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 05:52:41 EST

This is mail about nbd

*******Re: mail*****
>Hi!
>Grab linux-2.3.99-pre6, it is all in there.
>
>--
>The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
>GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+
Thank you very much!
I have a question about nbd to ask you. I create a nbd(200MB), and
run mke2fs -b 4096 /dev/nb0, and then use bonnie test its speed,
it was dead. But when I set the block size of filesystem to default value,
everything is OK. The same thing happened in another experiment.
I used nbd to construct RAID. When I set the RAID0 and RAID5's block size
to 4K, bonnie was OK. But when I set the RAID1's block size to 4K, bonnie
was dead. And if the block size is set to default value, all three
kind of RAID are OK. Could you give me some advice? Thanks!
Wang Gang

______________________
Sorry, I do not know what is wrong. You have two machines for tests,
>both linuxes, connected by ethernet?
> Pavel
>--
>The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
>GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+
Yes, I have two machines. Each machine have a rtl8139 100M PCI Ethernet
Card, and connect to a 16 ports 10M/100M switch. Do you think this
problem is cause by these cheap hardware or NBD software of Linux?

Another question: there are two machines, one's chipset is Intel BX,
another's is ALI(for K6-2), use bonnie theirs disk speed, the results
are all about 10MB/s. But when I test the two disks through NBD(the two
machines as NBD servers, test in another machine as NBD client), the BX
machine's result is about twice times higher than the ALI machine, Could
you give me some advices?

I'm very sorry for bothering you again.
Wang Gang
_______________________________
Hi!

> >Sorry, I do not know what is wrong. You have two machines for tests,
> >both linuxes, connected by ethernet?

> Yes, I have two machines. Each machine have a rtl8139 100M PCI Ethernet
> Card, and connect to a 16 ports 10M/100M switch. Do you think this
> problem is cause by these cheap hardware or NBD software of Linux?

No, cheap hardware is okay. This is valid bug report, try posting it
to linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu.
                                                                Pavel

--

liu xg xg_liu@freemail.online.tj.cn