Re: Out of memory with 2.3.99-pre7-8

From: Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 18:29:47 EST

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:50:31PM +0200, Jan Niehusmann wrote:

> I got out of memory errors (VM: killing process...) while writing to a big
> file on a LVM partition. (dd if=/dev/zero of=test ...)
>
> I have 256MB of RAM, and the error occured once without swap and once
> with 128MB swap (but only <100 pages of swap used)
> Both times there was no big program running (X, enlightenment, some Eterms).
>
> The processes killed where enlightenment and X.
>
> Kernel is 2.3.99-pre7-8, and the lvm patches posted by Andrea on Apr 5.

I get this as well, by running a program that eats up a lot of memory.
It happens even before the system clears out the cache...it brushes off
about 10 MB of cache (even with 50 MB still left), and then goes and
kills something. Hrm. :)

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]