Re: SO_REUSEADDR correlated with low TCP throughput? Programmer error.

From: Andrew Green (ag@em.net)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 13:22:57 EST

> The behavior I'm seeing is that if I create a listening socket, and apply
> SO_REUSEADDR to it, any socket created by an accept on that socket will have
> *very* low throughput.

Mea culpa. I made a mistake.

I was calling setsockopt(theSocket, IPPROTO_TCP, ...) instead of
setsockopt(theSocket, SOL_SOCKET, ...) where the option was SO_REUSADDR,
which has the same value as TCP_MAXSEG -- so I was setting the max seg size
to 1 byte, hence the terrible performance. Of course I only spotted my error
after exposing my ignorance to the world :) My apologies for wasting
everyone's time.

Andrew Green