Failing to mount an SMB file system produces unexpected behavior

From: peloquin@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 12:24:54 EST

Am seeing a problem in mount when mounting smb file systems. There is
special code in mount for either smb or ncp where it forks to create a
child which then execs the appropriate function. The parent waits for the
child process to end. In the case of a failed smbmount, smbmount returns a
status code of 1, but the value returned to the wait is apparantly shifted
left by 8 actually returning a status code of 256 to mount. Mount
interprets the 256 as EX_BG (retry in background). When mount retries in
the background, it sends a 0 status code to the caller, which is tricked
into thinking the mount occurred successfully. This seems like a bug, in
'mount' (my bet) or in the 'wait' function. Can anyone give me an opinion
or insight into the behavior of shifting the status code by 8?

This behavior has been tested on kernels 2.2.12 and 2.3.99-pre3.

Thanks.
Mark Peloquin