Re: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Chad Miller (cmiller@surfsouth.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 12:20:12 EST

Someone:

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 03:03:47PM +0200, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:
> Ugh.. Had to read that 4 times..
>
> But yes, the physical security is also of importance...

I don't think Foo was discussing physical security. In his metaphor,
everything was physical, so he's not noting that physical access is
something we should consider -- we _know_ that. Within his physical
system (an example of a well-designed security mechanism), there are
several layers to providing security. Ownership of a {key,root shell}
shouldn't imply complete and total access.

The equivalent of the time policy, banker's key, security guard, and
vault wall are something we (not meaning LKML) should work on.

                                                - chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>     URL: http://web.chad.org/
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced".