Re: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 19:03:01 EST

On 8 May 2000 yoann@mandrakesoft.com wrote:

> Khimenko Victor <khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru> writes:

> > > It does not work.
> > > Please read the 'Proposal LUID' and 'Security in general (was Re: Proposal "LUID")'
> > > threads, where this was highly discuted.
> > >
> > This discussion does not apply here. Not at all. There was discussed some
> > things to be done in PUBLIC (read: intruder aware about changes). If you
> > are doing EXACTLY some thing in secrecy it'll work for some time (may be
> > even not so short time).
> >
> > Please, please, PLEASE try to understood that "does not work as long term
> > solution" and "does not work at all" are different things. Sometimes
> > DRASTICALLY (for example UUIDs are always used as unique things but still
> > in REALLY long term they are not: there are only finite number of
> > different UUIDs :-))
> >

> non executable stack give, as it was said before, a false sence of security;

And guess who said it ?

> also, the majority of recent exploit work on non exec stack as it is, at least,
> as easy to write an exploit for non executable as for executable stack.

Hah. HOW LONG non-executable stack prevented exploits for quite a few
peoples ? Yes, it's well-known thing now and does not work anymore.
That's why you do not want such things in mainstream kernel.

> So it will not even work on short term.

It works fine in short term. Non-executable stack prevented LOTS of
intrusion attempts. Yes, now this hack timed out and not so usefull
anymore but it worked. For few YEARS. Not so "short" term I want to say.