Re: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 18:43:53 EST

On 8 May 2000 yoann@mandrakesoft.com wrote:

> Khimenko Victor <khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru> writes:

> > > It doesn't work.
> >
> > It works beautifully. As long as intruder does not know where exactly
> > traps are placed he can not avoid traps. Will it work as long time defence
> > against scilled cracker SPECIALLY directed against you ? Probably not.
> > Will it stop most crackers ? For sure. As long as traps are NOT common and
> > thus not known to majority of crackers!
> >

> It does not work.
> Please read the 'Proposal LUID' and 'Security in general (was Re: Proposal "LUID")'
> threads, where this was highly discuted.

This discussion does not apply here. Not at all. There was discussed some
things to be done in PUBLIC (read: intruder aware about changes). If you
are doing EXACTLY some thing in secrecy it'll work for some time (may be
even not so short time).

Please, please, PLEASE try to understood that "does not work as long term
solution" and "does not work at all" are different things. Sometimes
DRASTICALLY (for example UUIDs are always used as unique things but still
in REALLY long term they are not: there are only finite number of
different UUIDs :-))