Re: sbusfb changes are wrong

From: Jakub Jelinek (jakub@redhat.com)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 13:51:01 EST

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 10:59:57AM -0400, James Simmons wrote:

> What happened to if (fb->open) return -EBUSY; in sbusfb.c? This is
> wrong!!! Is this so brain dead apps like fbvt can work on this platform.
> Well it's heading in the wrong direction. I posted before why this is a bad
> idea. You should not allow multiple process access to /dev/fb at the same
> time. You are going to have problems!!!!

To support DGA on FFB/AFB.
They are not wrong. FFB, AFB, Leo and other cards can support several apps
accessing the same hardware without a problem, they have been designed with
that in mind (e.g. they have hardware contexts for framebuffer control
registers, ability to save/restore the context on a process switch and
stuff like that).

        Jakub